From Axe-Fx II Wiki
Tuner: supported by which Fractal Audio devices?
- Axe-Fx II: yes.
- MFC-101: yes.
- AX8: yes.
- FX8: yes.
Tuner MIDI CC
- MIDI CC for the Tuner: 15.
Assigning Tuner to a switch
- Scroll to the Tuner CC (I/O > Control) and hit Enter. Click the switch on the floor controller that you want to assign the Tuner to.
- Or configure it manually by assigning the Tuner MIDI CC to a switch on the floor controller.
- The MFC-101 has a dedicated Tuner command.
Assigning Tuner to a Preset switch on the MFC-101
- Normally, the Tuner is engaged by pressing an IA switch, assigned to the Tuner's MIDI CC. If you have a MFC, you can program it to activate the Tuner by pressing a preset switch:
- In Edit > MIDI, set IntCC00 to CC15.
- In Edit > Preset, scroll to the designated preset and set IntCC01 to On.
Tuner source signal
- Axe-Fx II: the Tuner detects signals at the front input of the Axe-Fx II, Input 1 left (rear) and S/PDIF signal. This cannot be changed.
- FX8: at default settings, the Tuner detects signals at the PRE input. You can change the Global Detector to POST input, which you'll want to do when using the FX8 in a POST-only setup.
- AX8: the Tuner detects signals at the front input.
- The sound can be muted when engaging the Tuner. You have the choice of muting at the Input or Output stage. Muting at the input stage allows delay and reverb trails to continue to sound when engaging the Tuner. The Mute parameter is in the Tuner menu.
Tuner display on floor controller
- Fractal's MFC-101 and certain controllers (i.e. Gordius, Liquid-Foot, RJM) can show a graphical tuner display:
- Enable real-time MIDI SysEx communication on the Axe-Fx II (I/O > MIDI) by setting it to “Tuner” or "All".
- Use a suitable cable connection which allows full bi-directional MIDI communication.
"Waiting for tuner..." message on MFC-101
- If this message appears on the MFC-101 after pressing the Tuner switch on your foot controller, check these Axe-Fx II settings:
- I/O > MIDI: Send Realtime Sysex must be enabled.
- Tuner menu: must be set to display the first tab page.
- Tuner MIDI CC: must be set to default MIDI CC.
Flickering Axe-Fx II display when tuning
- Cliff: "Display flickering on the tuner is normal. Some do it more than other. It's just the nature of the display. The display uses a ping-pong buffer. One page is updated while the other is displayed. Then the pages are switched. Some flickering can occur during the page switch. The reason it is noticeable more on the tuner is that the display is updated more frequently." source
Wrong Tuner value when not using 48kHz sampling rate
- If the Axe-Fx II is connected to a DAW which is not set to 48kHz, the tuner may be off.
- Use the offsets below in the Tuner for Peterson GTR Sweetened tuning. source
- E1 = -2.3 cent
- B2 = 0
- G3 = 0
- D4 = -0.4 Cent
- A5 = -2.1 Cent
- E6 = -2.3 Cent
- To apply: press the Tuner button, move to page 2 CONFIG, set USE OFFSETS to "ON", move to page 3 OFFSETS, adjust each string to the above offsets.