Available on which Fractal Audio products
- Axe-Fx III: 4 blocks
- Axe-Fx II: 1 block
- AX8: 1 block
- FX8: no
X/Y and channels
- Axe-Fx III: 4 channels
- Axe-Fx II: no
- AX8: no
- FX8: n/a
What's the Output block for
The Output block is the spot where the signal exits the grid. It contains a mixer.
Together with an Input block it can also establish an effects loop.
Position of the Output block
Axe-Fx II and AX8: The Output block has a fixed position at the end of the grid.
Axe-Fx III: The 4 Output blocks can be positioned freely on the grid.
(product information) "Routing flexibility is enhanced by unconstrained placement of input and output blocks anywhere in the routing grid. Want to insert different outboard devices at different parts of the signal path? No problem. Simultaneously process discrete stereo output for acoustic and electric guitars? Easy. Send stereo to front-of-house, plus a true “Wet-Dry-Wet” on stage while recording a DI for re-amping later? No problem! Each output pair also has its own dedicated front panel LEVEL knob for convenient control."
Output blocks in the Axe-Fx III
Output number ...
- 1 — Transmits signal to the physical Output 1 jacks and to USB Inputs 1+2 on a connected computer
- 2 — Transmits signal to the physical Output 2 jacks and to USB Inputs 3+4 on a connected computer
- 3 — Transmits signal to the physical Output 3 jacks
- 4 — Transmits signal to the physical Output 4 jacks
The Output 1 block signal may also be transmitted through the digital outputs if SPDIF/AES Out Source is set to Output 1.
The Output 1 block signal may also be transmitted through Output 2 if Output 2 Copy Output 1 is turned on and there's no Output 2 block on the grid.
The Output 2 block signal may also be transmitted through the digital outputs if SPDIF/AES Out Source is set to Output 2.
The Output blocks can be muted. The signal is muted at the corresponding output AND on the grid.
Each Output block has 4 channels, and contains a mixer with Level and Balance controls for each grid row, plus master Output Level, Balance and Bypass controls.
Regarding the Output 3 and 4 blocks:
- If you don't connect Output to Input, muting the Input block will mute the signal path from this loop.
- If you connect them, bypassing the Input block will not mute the signal. Signal is passed without going through the loop.
- If you connect them, with Input engaged, it will output the signal from the effect loop.
Creating an effects loop on the Axe-Fx III
Setting levels per scene
The Output block level is stored per scene in the AX8, Axe-Fx II and III.
When the preset contains an Output block, it overrides the corresponding Copy Output setting in I/O > Audio.
This is similar to the FX Loop block in the Axe-Fx II.