Help, no sound
List of things to check
If the unit or a preset doesn't produce any sound, check the following:
- Device has latest firmware installed.
- Physical cables are okay.
- Input is connected to output on the grid (blocks or shunts).
- Bypass Mode in bypassed blocks is not set to “Mute”.
- Axe-Fx III: you're using the correct physical outputs, corresponding with the output block on the grid.
- Blocks are set to the correct X/Y state or channel.
- The Cab block is not set to an empty user cab slot.
- Volume block with attached controller is not set to zero volume.
- Output level knobs on hardware are turned up.
- FX8 has correct "pre/post" preset config.
- Volume pedal is not muting the signal.
- Noise Gate (in Input block or separate block) doesn't have its Threshold set too high.
- Scene output level in Output block is turned up.
Meters on the Axe-Fx III
Go to Layout > Meters to see meters for all blocks in the preset. This is the fastest way to check if anything is wrong with the preset.
Check the Input and Output meters on the front/top panel to verify that there’s an input and output signal.
Generating a test tone
If you want to make sure that the hardware is capable of generating sound, try this:
- Add a Synth block and connect it to the grid output
- Select the Sine wave and turn off Tracking.
- This generates a simple test tone.