Forum member and programmer AlGrenadine provides a super handy editor for the Axe-Fx II, AX8 and FX8: FracPad. It provides all the tools to edit and manage presets, blocks etc, on a table, smartphone or computer.
A free version is available for Windows and OS X.
- Full and "lite" versions for Android, and free version for Windows and Mac.
- Commercial version for iOS.
- "Lite" version for iOS.
Connect FracPad to mobile device
This requires a compatible USB adapter, called "USB OTG". This works with the AX8, FX8 and Axe-Fx II models.
No reliable wireless solution (Bluetooth) has been found yet.
Axe-Fx II and iOS (wired and wireless)
- Wired: requires a MIDI-to-USB interface, because the USB port on the Axe-Fx II doesn't operate as USB host. Use a USB-to-MIDI interface like Roland's UM-One in conjunction with the "USB camera adapter" for Apple devices.
- Wireless: through Bluetooth. The Yamaha MD-BT01 interface is recommended. It connects to the MIDI IN and OUT ports on the Axe-Fx II. Launch the app "Midimittr" (AppStore) to enable the communication, followed by launching FracPad.
AX8/FX8 and iOS (wired and wireless)
- Wired: requires a USB connection, because the AX8 and FX8 do not support editing through MIDI. Use the "USB camera adapter" for Apple devices.
- Wireless: established through Bluetooth. Try Yamaha's UD-BT01 interface and verify that it runs firmware 1.03 or later (run the Yamaha UD/MD utility, available in the US / Canadian app store). Launch the app "Midimittr" (AppStore) to enable the communication, followed by launching FracPad.
Bluetooth wireless connection between Axe-Fx II - AX8 - FX8 and iOS
A Bluetooth connection requires Bluetooth LE (Low Energy), so make sure that the iOS device handles Bluetooth 4.0+. This requires at least an iPad 3 or iPhone 4s (source).
Bluetooth operations on Android are not officially supported, so use at your own risk.