FXL / Effects Loop
From Axe-Fx II Wiki
FXL: supported by which Fractal Audio products?
- Axe-Fx II: yes.
- FX8: no.
- AX8: yes.
FXL and X/Y switching
- The FXL block doesn't support X/Y switching.
FXL versus Echo Output 2
- A FXL block in a preset overrides the Hardware menu: I/O setting "Echo Output 2".
FXL: Axe-x II versus AX8
- The functionality is the same except for this:
- On the Axe-Fx II there is a sensor on Input 2. If nothing is connected to Input 2, the effects loop will not run. source
- The AX8 doesn't have this sensor. This means that on the AX8 you always have to put FXL in a branched off (parallel) path, if you use it to for a separate output signal.
Various FXL notes
- The Level parameter in the FXL block affects the signal flow to the block AFTER the FXL block, not the signal to OUT 2.
- If you use FXL as an auxiliary output (OUT 2) and connect it to the end of the grid, turn down its Level to prevent passing signal to OUT 1.
- The FXL block's output level is stored per scene.
- Change FXL from stereo to split.
- You can use the FXL block to integrate computer effects. Set I/O > USB Digi Source to: OUT 2. source
Using FXL to send a signal from Input 2 to Output 2
- You can add an instrument, music player etc. to Input 2 and send its signal to Output 2 as follows:
- Connect the external gear to Input 2.
- Select the correct Input Mode for Input 2 in I/O > Audio.
- Add a Feedback Return block to a separate row. Set Mix and Level to 100.
- Add a FXL block after Feedback Return and effect blocks if necessary. Set Level at 100.
- Add a Feedback Send block, with Send at 100. Do not connect Send to the grid's output.
- The described routing makes the signal from Input 2 enter the grid (through FXL) to be processed by the effect blocks after FXL. FXL's Level parameter makes sure the signal enters Feedback Send, which routes the signal back to Feedback Return. From there it enters FXL again, but this time to send the signal to Output 2.
- If you want this routing to go to Output 1 as well, connect Feedback Send to the grid's output.
- If you want to add signal from Input 1 to Output 2, connect that row to FXL.
FXL and Four Cable Method (4CM)
- Humbuster cables help to prevent ground loops in a 4CM setup.
- The Boost/Pad parameters in the I/O menu help to optimize output levels and reduce noisec in a 4CM setup or when inserting an external device. Use Boost/Pad to increase the level and make sure to prevent clipping. Also, turn Output 2 on the front panel fully open. Then use Input 2 Level in I/O to fine tune the signal level.