Always consult the Owners Manuals
From Axe-Fx II Wiki
Image to be added.
What is FASLINK
FASLINK is a proprietary Fractal Audio communications link between the Axe-Fx processor and foot controller via an XLR cable. XLR cables (microphone cables) are common and more flexible and robust than Ethernet cables. Runs of hundreds of feet are possible. FASLINK provides two-way communication and phantom power.
- FASLINK (original): connects the Axe-Fx II and MFC-101.
- FASLINK II: connects the Axe-Fx III and the FC foot controller(s), featuring a new protocol.
FASLINK has replaced previous connection methods: MIDI and Ethernet/
Which Fractal Audio products support FASLINK
- Axe-Fx II XL and XL+: built-in support for FASLINK.
- Axe-Fx II Mark I and II: require a FASLINK adapter to convert wiring from Ethernet/Ethercon to XLR.
- MFC-101 Mark III: built-in support for FASLINK.
- MFC-101 Mark I and II: require a FASLINK adapter to convert wiring from Ethernet/Ethercon to XLR.
- Axe-Fx III: built-in support for FASLINK II.
- FC controllers: built-in support for FASLINK II.
FASLINK adapters for older hardware
The FASLINK XA-1 and XA-2 are adapters to convert wiring on older Axe-Fx and MFC-101 hardware (see above) from Ethernet/Ethercon to XLR. These adapters are "active" (source). They can be bought directly from Fractal Audio's online shop and G66.
The adapters do not support FASLINK II.
Set up FASLINK
- Axe-Fx III: to be added.
- Axe-Fx II: turn on FASLINK in the I/O menu.
- MFC-101: select the correct port in the MFC settings. WARNING: do NOT connect a power supply to the MFC-101 when using FASLINK!
"The FASLINK port is protected against shorts." source